A True Blue Manifesto

My place to vent random thoughts on the way it is and the way it should be.

Monday, April 25, 2005

No, Thank You...

I had an interesting 30 minute conversation today with a hard-core, right-wing Christian. I started the conversation talking about doing some plant work at the house this weekend and playing golf. The talk quickly switched to politics. I'm a firm believer in God and Jesus Christ and all but I got really upset, downright pissed off at what she had to say about the latest move by the Christian Coalition and Bill Frist.

With all of the Democrats in the House filibustering debate on ten of Dubbyuh's judicial nominees the Republicans are doing anything they can to get them approved. They're talking about a "nuclear (that's new-klee-ur, Dubbyuh) option" and having rallies in Louisville to drum up some support from the Radical-Right. But the most disturbing move they've made has been to argue that the democrats oppose people of faith. I'm sorry, but what the hell? Are Democrats not, "people of faith?" Are you blind to the fact that practically all Democrats are Christians? We go to church and practice Christianity like the rest of ya'll, but now, when you need some appellate justices to carry out your religious agenda, we are atheists? I'm sorry Mr. Frist, but you are wrong, sir and this will cost you at the poll.

Let's look at that the Terry Schiavo case. I know, I know, we've all heard enough about it and wish we'd never hear about it again... I'm sorry. But think about this, 89% of Americans independantly polled believed the issue was used for political gain. Considering Democrats refused to meet in the Senate to discuss the issue with Republicans and did practically nothing with the issue, one could conclude that the Republicans were in it for the politics. Not to save the life of an innocent person, not to do God's will, but for political gain. These nominees are no different. This is all politics and the Radical Right seems to think that because most Americans believe in God, they can tack on Christianity to every issue and get their way. Anyone who gets in their way is standing in the way of God's will and, therefore, is wrong.

If these judicial nominees have their appointments approved, they will soon have the issue of Roe v. Wade placed before them. This has been the will of the Christian Coalition and the Radical Right all along. Now, the justices have made their inevitable ruling on the issue very clear. My friend I was speaking with today put it to me like this: The Democrats are refusing to approve those of Dubbyuh's appointees who are people of faith and rule based on firm Christian beliefs and to refuse to accept them into the judicial process is wrong.

Let's look at the oath that a federal judge takes when entering office; "I, XXX XXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as XXX under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God." If you ask me, to use religion as the sole reason to rule in a case would bypass the most fundamental guideline within this oath of responsibility, "...and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as XXX under the Constitution and laws of the United States." There is no law requiring Christianity to be the basis of all that is legal, and just in the American government. I'm sorry but "In God We Trust" on our money and "so help me God" at the end of an oath does not equate to a Christian state. If this isn't a fundamental desire by some Right-wing leaders to establish a Christian form of government, I don't know what is.

The real problem here is that these justices are set on using religion as the sole reasoning behind their decision-making process and for the Republicans to support that is wrong. The Dems aren't opposed to people of faith, they are all people of faith themselves. Do you think Senator Kennedy isn't a Christian? Come on... However, Kennedy and the rest of the Democrats are against the Radical Right manipulating the situation in a way that makes Democrats look like they oppose Republicans because of their devout faith. We oppose those justices because they make radical decisions based on religion and religion alone.

I wonder what Bill Frist thinks about people like me. Am I not a "true believer?" Do I love God less because I love the Democratic Party? Why can't we just do what is right and denounce what is wrong? As long as we lead good lives, have a morally sound society and government and believe in God, everyone (God included) should be happy, right? The Radical Right just can't be happy with that. It seems to me like they have to use God as the reasoning behind everything they approve or it's just not good enough. I think they would like this nation to be run like these Islamic nations, but with the Bible dictating our every move.

I appreciate your offer Mr. Frist, but 89% of Americans say "no, thank you."