A True Blue Manifesto

My place to vent random thoughts on the way it is and the way it should be.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

November...

I've taken on a huge DMB conversion project lately, so I haven't even looked at MySpace in a while let alone blogged from State of Denial. Now I'm off to Texas for 2 weeks to train new employees for work. I will have no internet and may not survive the withdrawl!

I voted on Wednesday. I was offered an optional paper ballot (which I took!) and went to my booth to carefully fill in the bubble next to the (D)'s all the way down the page. For 10am at an early polling station 2 weeks before the election, it was surprisingly busy in there.

The polls are neck and neck for House control in Congress. Three months ago I expected the Dems to pick up 7-10 seats. Now I expect at least 14, probably no more than 18, but if the GOP lost 25 seats I would not be totally shocked. It's all about turnout and the war in Iraq. I think people are dissapointed at the same old Iraq news story last night as we saw the same day 3 years ago. More dead, more dying, no end in sight. I'm not saying the Dems will have an enlightened solution on November 8th if the win, but the current strategy is stagnant and doing no better at securing Iraq or bringing an end to the war. So, do you stick with what we've had the last 3 1/2 years or do you try something different? The Dems clearly want change and if the GOP voters are not fully committed to the current strategy and choose not to vote, Nancy Pelosi will have the gavel and the lamest of Lame Duck sessions will begin.

The GOP will either keep a majority in the Senate by 1 seat or there will be a tie in membership. However, with the candidates in a few key races having to distance themselves with the typical GOP rubber stamp (Missouri's Talent, New Jersey's Kean, and Maryland's Steele) there could be more Dem led legislative victories than expected. Orin Hatch's support of stem cell research is one example.

So I hope you go vote and I hope you vote for my people. I think this country would be better off with more balance of power with at least some respect and consideration for other ideas. Government is like a pendulum - it never stays with one extreme for very long before it swings back the other way. I think it's time to swing the pendulum and change the course of American politics.

I'm Henry Hart and I approved this message.